An SMS gateway is a service that allows you to send and receive SMS (Short Message Service) messages from your application or system to mobile devices. These gateways are often used for various purposes, including two-factor authentication (2FA) and phone number-based login. Here’s how they typically work:
- User Registration: When a user signs up for a service or application, they provide their phone number along with other registration details.
- Phone Number Verification: To verify the user’s phone number, the application sends a one-time code (OTP) to the user’s phone number via an SMS gateway.
- User Input: The user receives the OTP on their mobile device and enters it into the application.
- Verification: The application then sends the entered OTP back to the server for verification.
- Authentication: If the entered OTP matches the one sent, the user is granted access to the application.